Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting Very Shirty About Those Three Dollars

, , , , | Right | September 21, 2018

(There’s a large sale going on at our store, and extra 40% taken off the lowest marked ticket price on clearance items. I am working at customer service, doing what few returns we have had, when a gentleman walks up to my register.)

Customer: “I just checked out with the cashier over here, and all your clearance is an extra 40% off, but he didn’t take the discount off.”

Me: “Okay, would you like me to double check?”

Customer: “Oh, yes, please; that would be lovely.”

(I go through the 50+ t-shirts he bought, price-checking them one by one to make sure they ring up right and match his receipt. He lets me do this on every item, taking at least five minutes.)

Me: “Well, sir, according to your receipt, and the prices the register pulled up, everything rang up correctly.”

Customer: “Okay, but what’s the total?”

Me: “The total is at the bottom of your receipt. Everything rang up the same, so the total should be correct.”

Customer: “Well, I want you to ring it up again and make sure the totals match up. Now.”

(I decide not to argue and just go ahead and do it; however, his total is about $3 less than on his original receipt, not enough to be a clearance issue. After double-checking everything, once again the process taking several minutes, I see he also bought some candy and cookies at the register.)

Customer: “So, why is the total less now than it was then?”

Me: “Well, when you made the purchase, sir, you also purchased some candy and cookies, causing the $3 difference.”

Customer: “Well, I want my $3 back!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. I can’t give you money back for something you purchased and consumed.”

Customer: “You’re just trying to take my money. That’s all these stores are good for. Keep the $3. But I won’t be back again.”

Me: “Have a good day, sir!” *to coworker* “Think that was a promise?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!