Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting The Book To Them Becomes A Story

, , , , , | Right | May 21, 2021

I am an author. I receive an email from a teenage reader.

Reader: “I really enjoyed your latest book. I’d like to read [Older Title], but it’s not at my library.”

This, of course, appeals to my vanity.

Me: “I’ll send you a copy via your school.”

I don’t feel comfortable asking for his home address.

Reader: “Seriously? That would be great. I go to [High School].”

I send him a copy of the book, but a few days later it comes back, marked “addressee unknown.” I email him.

Me: “The post office sent the book back. You go to [High School] at [address], right?”

Reader: “Yeah. I’m not sure what the problem is.”

Me: “Well, maybe they only looked at faculty names. I’ll label it ‘student’ next time; that should clear it up.”

I send the book again, and again it comes back “addressee unknown.” I email him again.

Me: “I can’t figure out what the problem is. I labeled it [Reader], STUDENT.”

Reader: “Oh, that’s not my real name. My real name is [Full Name].”

This name was completely different from the one he signed his emails with. I sent the book via that name and it arrived just fine.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!