Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting That Purse Was A Steal

| Working | March 14, 2017

(On my salary, I can’t afford the high-end purses my job sells. We had a promotion last year where I was the top salesperson and I won a large gift certificate to the store. Thrilled, I picked up one of the previous season’s purses, and it’s been my pride. Imagine my surprise to come back after shift one day, open my locker, and find most of the contents of my purse dumped in a plastic garbage bag and my purse missing! I call mall security and am waiting for them when the assistant store manager comes over to me.)

Assistant Store Manager: “Just tell security to leave when they get here. We don’t need to create a mess.”

Me: “We had a theft in our back room! Of course I want security here.”

Assistant Store Manager: “Look, I will level with you. We had a customer who really wanted last years’ colors. I knew you had it back there, and I had the master locker key. I thought you wouldn’t be this upset; it’s just a stupid purse. I had to make the customer happy.”

Me: “You sold my purse?”

Assistant Store Manager: “Technically, it’s the store’s purse. We gave you the gift certificate after all. You can’t be upset about something you didn’t buy. Just buy another one!”

Me: “When security gets here, I’m having them call the actual police!”

Assistant Store Manager: “Why are you so upset?! If you don’t tell security to go away, I’m going to write you up for your behavior.”

(She goes into the office, slamming the door behind her, and we hear her talking on the phone. Security arrives and I have them call police. Meanwhile, Assistant Store Manager refuses to leave her office. I also find out that several personal items that had been in the side zippered pocket of the purse are now gone. The police arrive and talk the assistant store manager out of the office. She is sobbing and uncooperative. The police treat it seriously and take the assistant store manager away. I get home and get a phone call from the district manager.)

District Manager: “I heard there was some issue at your store today.”

Me: “Yes, the police report is going to be sent to the corporate office.”

District Manager: “You realize your behavior means we will have to let you go? You’re lucky you weren’t arrested!”

Me: “Wait, why would I be arrested? What did [Assistant Store Manager] say happened?”

District Manager: “She said you had put a purse in the back room and were waiting until it went on sale, which is against the rules. When she sold it to a customer, you started yelling and throwing things and she called the police.”

Me: “That’s not correct at all!”

(I explained what really happened, and both Assistant Store Manager and I were put on leave until my district manager got the police report. When that and the security footage backed me up, I was told I wasn’t fired and they would take the write up off of my file. BUT the store didn’t reimburse me for my stolen purse, nor did they fire the assistant store manager! They expected us to still work together. I ended up quitting. Assistant Store Manager got community service for her theft.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!