Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting Owned By The Owner, Part 11

, , , , | Right | March 21, 2018

(The owner of our boutique is a therapist, with her legal name and info on our website. In training, and in our manual, she outlines the procedure where patients who want product must go through her office for confidentiality and ethical tracking requirements, and a form she only fills out for friends. Everyone in her personal life, including us, calls her a completely different name, so we can quickly identify who knows her or may be a stalker by proxy. The public does not know this name.)

Me: *at cash* “Did you find everything you were looking for today?”

Customer: “Yes. Well, no. I expected to see [Owner’s Legal Name], but I guess she’s not in.”

Me: “She’s providing therapy this afternoon.”

Customer: “That’s too bad. It’s been too long.”

Me: “That’ll be [price].”

Customer: “What?! I’m a friend. Don’t I get a discount?”

Me: “You’re not her friend.”

Customer: “Of course I am! What makes you say that?”

Me: “Aside from my never having seen you at her annual birthday party, you don’t even have her name right.”

Customer: “Oh, gosh. I always forget.” *mispronounces owner’s legal name with “foreign” pronunciation* “She never holds me to that, you know.”

Me: “Riiiight. There’s also this little tidbit.” *pulling out manual and quoting* “’My friends and family will always have the proper paperwork for discounts, not only for legal reasons but because—’” *emphasis* “’—my loved ones have too much professionalism and class to put underlings on the spot. When they want discounts, they will ask me.’”

Customer: *flabbergasted* “Well, I never! I was just saying friend because I was too embarrassed to say client! Yet you shame me.”

Me: “I was just quoting my rule book, ma’am. As for clients, all of them know they aren’t supposed to come to the store, and that they receive catalogues so they can order through her, confidentially. If you were a client, you wouldn’t have even needed to leave your house, and your order would be at your next appointment.”

(The customer is telling me off as the owner comes in. The customer is claiming I’m rude when the owner looks over and sees the manual open to the discount page.)

Owner: *in her compassionate yet stern therapist voice* “Did you lie to my employee and tell her we knew each other?”

(The customer looks scared. I am not sure, but she may have barely nodded.)

Owner: *tone still serious* “Why did you lie?”

(The customer seems to only gag and stutter. The owner holds up her hand in stop signal.)

Owner: “It doesn’t matter if you are a pathological liar, or of such weak moral character as to put her job in jeopardy to save—” *picks up her order to look* “—a measly $2. Either way, we do not reward bad behaviour in my establishment. Please leave.”

(The owner puts her things behind the counter and lets out a big sigh. She then pulls out her wallet and hands me a $10.)

Owner: “Why don’t you walk it off and, when you come back, bring us both some drinks?” *takes back $10 and gives me $20* “On second thought, go buy yourself some cake. I can see you stood your ground, and I’m proud.”

(I love my boss!)

Related:
Getting Owned By The Owner, Part 10
Getting Owned By The Owner, Part 9
Getting Owned By The Owner, Part 8

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!