Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting An Education Is On His Bucket List

, , , | Right | April 2, 2019

(I work at a customer service center for a website that sells books, DVDs, toys, etc. — a digital warehouse. A customer calls about a return.)

Caller: “I was hoping I could return these books; they were intended for his study.”

Me: “Sure, let’s see what we can do. What is the order number?”

Caller: *gives number* “I really hope we can return them, seeing as he kicked the bucket.” *uses a Dutch equivalent of this term*

Me: “Oh, no, I’m so sorry to hear that! Of course you can return them! I’m so sorry!”

(The books are within requirements anyway, so a return would always be possible.)

Caller: “Really? How nice of you. How do I return them?”

Me: *gives instructions* “Again, I’m so sorry.”

Caller: “It’s fine; he already looked for a new field.”

Me: “New study?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Me: “Your son is okay?”

Caller: “Yes, why did you think he wasn’t?”

Me: “You said he kicked the bucket!”

Caller: “Yes?”

Me: “That means he died!”

Caller: “No, no, no…. He didn’t die! Kicking the bucket means he gave up!”

(We had a good laugh about it and I was relieved her son was fine. In case you wondered, the proverb she used was, “De pijp aan Maarten geven,” meaning, “Giving a pipe to Saint Peter.” It can mean, “to give up,” but it’s quite often used for someone who passed away.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!