Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting A Jump On Defeating Sexism

, , , , , , , | Right | August 11, 2022

I work in a pet hotel/doggie day-care located inside a large corporate pet store. On my way to take my break one drizzly evening, I pass through the hotel “lobby” where a man and his son, who looks to be in his mid- to late teens, are standing. I hear the man ask the senior associate at the check-in desk if someone can help him jump his car, as the battery is dead. Since I’ve already clocked out for my break, I decide to offer to help.

I’m a woman in my early twenties.

Me: “Sorry, I couldn’t help but overhear. I have jumper cables in my car and I’m just about to take my break. I can give you a boost, no problem.”

The man looks me up and down and then chuckles.

Man: *Condescending* “Are you sure you know how, honey?”

The son, to his credit, groans and covers his face. I stare at the man for a moment and then frown.

Me: *Annoyed* “Sir, I don’t have to help you, so you can either be rude or you can be on your way home. Which is it?”

He stares at me, startled, and then turns to the senior associate.

Man: “Are you going to let her talk to me like that?!”

Senior Associate: *Shrugging* “She’s not on company time; she can say what she wants.”

Son: “For God’s sake, Dad, it’s already raining and she’s offering to help. Just ask her nicely.”

The man looks at his son in surprise, then looks chagrined and turns back to me.

Man: “Um, we would very much appreciate your help, thank you.”

Me: “No problem. Where are you parked?”

We went out to the parking lot, and he just happened to have parked in the space across from mine, so our hoods were already lined up. I grabbed my cables while [Man] got an umbrella from his car that he graciously held over me while I hooked up the cables.

A few minutes later, they were good to go. [Man] thanked me again and apologized for his condescension while his son whispered an apology for his dad’s behavior. When I returned from my break, the senior associate (also a woman) gave me a knowing smile and a fist bump.

If you ask for help and someone offers, don’t be a jerk!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!