Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting A Call From Jon Snow

, , | Right | September 13, 2021

I work as technical support on the help desk, doing password resets, troubleshooting hardware, etc., at a company that provides managed video conferencing services — pre-Facetime and Skype era.

Me: “Hello, thank you for calling [Company] technical support. My name is [My Name]; how can I assist you today?”

Caller: “My event didn’t connect.”

Fair enough. This is a common enough call if their systems are off at the event start time, etc.

Me: “I’d be happy to help you with that. Do you happen to have your event ID number?”

Caller: “No.”

Also fair enough — it’s a random fourteen-digit number, so not everyone knows it.

Me: “Okay, do you have your system ID number?”

Caller: “No.”

A little weird.

Me: “Is it labelled on the system in front of you?”

It should be!

Caller: “No.”

Me: “Okay, do you know your site ID?”

This is a four-digit number that never changes.

Caller: “No.”

Me: “Okay… What organization are you calling from?”

Caller: “I don’t know.”

Me: “Oh… um… okay. Where are you right now?”

Caller: “I don’t know.”

Me: *In my head* “I think you have bigger problems than I’m qualified to help you with.” *Out loud* “Is there someone you can ask?”

Caller: “There’s a receptionist. Should I ask her?”

Me: *Pauses* “Yes.”

After she found out the info from the receptionist, I was able to connect her. I got the full story; her organization wanted to attend this event but didn’t have a system to connect so they sent her to another site to join, but they just gave her the directions of how to get to the physical building and no other information. She was never upset or impolite, but I just couldn’t understand how you can get to a building and have no idea what the address is or what company is there.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!