Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Get Rid Of The Bad Customers For Just A Buck Forty!

, , , , | Right | January 7, 2019

(I work at a restaurant as a waitress. One of my coworkers is working outside on the terrace and warns me that there is a difficult table having trouble with their payment and that they’re coming inside to settle their bill. The same people already came to me earlier to insult my coworkers for being cranky and unprofessional and not smiling enough, whilst they were working their butts off due to us being understaffed. The man comes up to the bar to talk to me.)

Me: “Hi! I understand you’d like to get your bill?”

Customer: “Something like that.”

Me: “Okay, that’ll be €20,40, please.”

Customer: “I have €19.”

Me: “Umm, all right. I’ll just need €1,40 more, then.”

Customer: “I don’t have that.”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “This is all I have. I don’t have more money.”

Me: “Okay… Do you have a debit card?”

Customer: “Yes. At home.”

Me: “Okay, would you like to run out to get it and settle the rest of the bill later?”

Customer: *angrily* “What? You’re telling me I need to go all the way to [Place five kilometers away] to get my debit card to pay you a Euro-something?”

Me: “Well, yes. I’m sorry, but I do.”

Customer:This is ridiculous! You’re honestly expecting me to come back to pay you people a Euro? I come here all the time! You’re giving me terrible customer service!”

(I’m starting to lose my cool. I’m usually very smiley and happy toward customers, but as he insulted my coworkers before, and makes it come across as if it’s OUR problem that he’s forgotten his card, I’m annoyed. Also, I’ve never seen the guy before.)

Me: “Yes. If you order something, you have to pay for it.”

Customer:It’s only a Euro!

Me: “That you owe us.”

Customer: *giving me a look of pure fury* “You know what? Fine. I’ll get you your Euro. But you’ve now lost a customer.”

(My manager came out and told the guy it was fine. I’m curious to see if he’ll ever be around again. The kicker is, if he would’ve been polite about it, I would have told him not to worry about the remaining €1,40 and taken it out of the tip jar. But how people can be so entitled, I’ll never know.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!