Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Game, Set, And (Price) Match

| Right | January 27, 2017

(I am with some friends at this game store playing cards. It’s an old-fashioned store, dealing in board and card games, as well as second-hand games. As such they’re usually not the cheapest, but they do have just about everything and the atmosphere is really great. A couple comes in, both looking rather well off. The store owner is currently putting away a few boxes, so they address us. As we are all regulars, we do know quite a bit about the store’s inventory.)

Woman: “Excuse me, young man, do you have [Particular Game] in store?”

Me: “Ah, yes, I know that one. Should be around here… Here it is. I cannot sell it to you, though, as I do not work here, but she will happily help you.”

Woman: “I’m in a hurry. Just tell me the price.”

Me: “Let me see here… Ah, it’s €24,95.”

Woman: “That’s unreasonable. They’re only €19,95 at [online store]; I demand you match that.”

Me: “Ma’am, as I told you, I don’t work here, but she will be happy to help.”

Woman: “Match the price now or you just lost a sale!”

Store Owner: “Ma’am, as he told you, he doesn’t work here. Not that he could’ve lowered the price anyway even if he did. [Online Store] buys in massive bulk. We’re just a small store; we cannot price match. But we do offer the service of you being able to return it without a deadline, and a customer service they cannot possibly hope to match, which is why it is €24,95.”

Woman: “Well, I never. You have no idea how to stay in business, if you don’t price match at all! This is why you aren’t rich and I am.”

Store Owner: “I am sorry, but I simply cannot price match for you. And for your information, we’ve been in business for well over 20 years by now.”

Woman: “But you have to price match this for me or you lost a valuable customer.”

Woman’s Husband: “Please excuse us.” *he starts guiding her out* “They can’t price match, so buy it online, you stingy woman!”

Woman: “THEY SHOULD PRICE MATCH! THIS IS BAD BUSINESS!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!