Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ghosts Of Christmas Past

, , , , | Related | December 26, 2012

(My dad, mum, two brothers, sister-in-law, niece, nephew, and for the first time my sister-in-law’s cousin are at my dad’s for Christmas Dinner. My grandfather passed away earlier in the year due to illness, and before we tuck into dinner, my dad gives a small speech about my granddad to celebrate his memory.)

Dad: “So, we hope you’re watching over us. This time last year, we were picking up the turkey you dropped when you tripped on the stairs.”

(My dad’s dining room is downstairs from the kitchen, and my granddad had indeed tripped with the turkey the previous year.)

Dad: “Thank you, Dad. Okay, who wants what?”

(We all begin helping ourselves to the various foodstuff in the middle of the table: turkey, mashed and roast potatoes, sprouts, etc. All except my sister-in-law’s cousin, who is looking rather pale and staring down at the table.)

Me: “It’s okay, Granddad didn’t die falling down the stairs last Christmas.”

Cousin: *instantly perks up* “Oh, thank God. For a moment, I thought that was how he’d gone.”


This story is part of the Family-At-Christmas Roundup!

Read the next Family-At-Christmas Roundup story!

Read the Family-At-Christmas Roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!