Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

From A Day Off To An Awful Day

, , , , , | Working | August 2, 2012

(It’s my day off, and I’m shopping at the grocery store where I work. Note that I’m not in uniform and am dressed extremely casually; in fact, I’m wearing cat ears that I made myself. One of my coworkers notices me.)

Coworker: “Hey, [My Name], you need to get on the registers! We’re backing up!”

Me: “I’m not on today.”

Coworker: “Don’t give me that! You are so! And what’s with the stupid things on your head?”

Me: “Like I said, I’m off today. See, I’m not even in uniform.”

Coworker: “You are so lazy! Get to your register now!”

Me: “I’m not—”

(My coworker pages the manager to come up and deal with me.)

Manager: “What seems to be the problem?”

Coworker: “She’s not doing her job! And look! She’s not even in uniform!”

Manager: *to me* “What are you doing just standing around then! Get on your lane!”

Me: “As I’ve said, I’m not on the schedule today.”

Manager: “We’ll see about that!” *goes to the service desk and pulls out our schedule binder and looks at it* “See, here you are!”

Me: “On what day?”

Manager: “Tuesday, 3-11!”

Coworker: “Ha!”

Me: “And today is?”

Coworker: *smugly* “Monday.”

(A moment of silence passes between the two of them as they realize their error. Both turn bright red.)

Manager: *to me* “Uh… I’m sorry.”

Me: “And I quit!”


This story is featured in our “I Quit!” roundup!

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!