Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Frequent Harassment Now Available In Every Aisle

, , , , | Right | February 1, 2019

(I’m 27. A man in his 50s visits our store at least twice a week. I don’t like waiting on him but he knows me by name and will wait around until I’m available to help. Several associates have offered to help him so he doesn’t have to wait, but he always refuses. It’s a few days before Black Friday and I’m trying to set up some of the displays so that we are ready to go. I see him enter the store and wink at me. I roll my eyes and move to another department.)

Coworker: *on the walkie* “[My Name], there’s a customer waiting for you by customer service.”

Me: *sigh* “No, I’m sorry. I can’t deal with him today; I’ve got too much to do.”

Coworker: *pause* “Well, he’s off to find you, anyway. I did tell him you were busy. Sorry…”

Me: “Thanks, anyway.”

(It isn’t long before I hear the man calling my name in a sing-song voice. I take a deep breath and turn.)

Me: “Yes?”

Customer: “Beautiful as ever! How are you?”

Me: “Very busy.”

(I gesture to the pallet of boxes I have to stock.)

Customer: “I don’t understand why someone as pretty as you gets stuck with men’s work.”

Me: “Equal opportunity employment. Are you looking for something in particular?”

Customer: “Just your smile.”

Me: *no smile* “Have a nice day, sir.”

(I return to my work, thinking that’s the last of it. Of course, it’s not. He returns a few minutes later.)

Customer: “When are you off?”

Me: “Later.”

Customer: “I think a hard-working woman like you deserves a drink.”

Me: “No, thank you.”

Customer: “A dinner?”

Me: “No.”

Customer: “Another night?”

Me: “No.

Customer: “Ah, a breakfast girl.”

Me: *frustrated* “No.”

Customer: “Movie!”

Me: “I am not interested. I do not want to go out with you for dinner, or drinks, or breakfast, or anything. I am happily married, and nothing you say or do will change my mind.”

Customer: *pale, shocked* “But—“

Me: “Now, if there is nothing work-related I can help you with, goodbye, and have a good evening.”

(A few days later I received word that he had complained about my poor customer service skills to our corporate complaint line. Nothing came of it, but now when he comes in, I’m conveniently not working!)


This story is part of the Black Friday 2022 roundup!

Read the next Black Friday 2022 roundup story!

Read the Black Friday 2022 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!