Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Going To Come Out Smelling Of Roses

| Learning | April 27, 2017

(I have PTSD, and one of my major triggers is the smell of certain perfumed body sprays. I write this in all of my class syllabuses, and make sure to tell all my students on the first day. Usually, it is not an issue at school. One semester, I am teaching an advanced class, and many of the students have taken me before, so I know them and they know me and my quirks. It’s the first day of class, and I start going over the syllabus. Suddenly, one of my returning students starts flapping her notebook in the air.)

Me: “What are you doing?”

Student #1: *gestures to girl sitting beside her* “She just sprayed some body spray! I’m trying to wave it out before it gets to you!”

(Several other students near her, all ones I’ve had before, start waving their papers and notebooks, too. The poor girl in question has never taken one of my classes, and looks terribly confused.)

Girl: “Um… am I in trouble?”

Me: “No, don’t worry. I’ll explain. Thank you, guys.”

(I went on with the syllabus, but I was really touched that those students didn’t hesitate about trying to keep me safe.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!