Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Finally Tipped Off

, | Working | August 7, 2014

(I am 21 years old and slightly scruffy looking, but hold a prominent position in an ultrasonic based oil and gas service company in northern British Columbia. I take a vacation down south for a family get together. I go out for breakfast.)

Me: “Hello. I am looking for the restaurant. Can you help me?”

Security Guard: “Sir, if you want to go into the casino, I need to see some ID.”

Me: “That is fine; I was unaware that the restaurant was in there.”

Security Guard: “It’s not. There is a concession there that sells chips but I need to see your ID first.”

Me: “Look I just want to sit down at a nice place and have a nice meal. If you insist here is my ID.”

Security Guard: “Okay, sir, the concession is up the stairs and to the left.”

(I go up to the concession and ask the woman if she could help me. She promptly points me in the right direction. I head down to the restaurant and get a table where I am placed in the farthest back corner with no view.)

Waitress: “Yeah, what can I get you?”

Me: “I will have the candied salmon eggs benedict with a glass of orange juice, please.”

Waitress: “Are you sure? That is quite expensive.”

Me: “I can afford it, I assure you.”

Waitress: “Okay, I’m ‘sure’ you can.”

(I receive my food and it is quite good, but I flag down the waitress to get a refill.)

Me: “Hello. Can I get another orange juice, please?”

Waitress: “You know you have to pay for that, right? They are not free refills. This isn’t a cheap restaurant.”

Me: “Ma’am, I understand that you probably have a lot of people come in that try to dine and dash. I understand that I am not dressed according to my economic status. However, my mother raised me alone on a waitress’ salary and I have always been a believer in very good tips for good service. You have treated me like scum since I walked in here. People are never who you think them to be and I am quite insulted by this. Do you see that brand new fully loaded 2012 Chevy pick up?” *uses key fob* “That’s mine. I am an honest hard working person who is on vacation. But you know what, since you’re so concerned with my money, don’t worry. Now that you’re not getting a tip the bill will be a lot easier on this poor soul.”

(The waitress’ face turned bright red and she couldn’t even look at me.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!