Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Finally, Someone Who Is Open Minded

, , | Right | March 15, 2023

On campus, there is a very small Asian fusion “cafe” that is an alternative to the usual dining halls. It’s very popular, due to the fact that the other dining halls tend to have the same things every day, and it gets kind of boring. Either that, or the food is questionable.

However, the Asian fusion cafe doesn’t open until 11 AM. The hours of the cafe are actually printed on the glass of the door, right at eye level.

I had one quarter where one of my classes ended at 10:30 AM in the building right next to the cafe, so I would just sit on the ground outside. (If you’re wondering why I didn’t wait inside the building, I have some anxiety about timing. I have a whole story where I once went to the airport 8 hours early on purpose.

I never really minded, it was kind of nice to sit outside after being stuffed in a room for two and a half hours.

The first time I sat outside, one of the workers (a nice older Korean man) saw me waiting outside, he opened the locked door.

Employee: “We don’t open until 11.”

Me: “Oh! I know. I’m just waiting out here until you guys open.”

He seemed vaguely surprised but nodded and closed the door again. I (very naively) wondered why he felt the need to mention this when the hours were printed right there on the door. 

Every day I had that class and sat outside, I had the pleasure of watching at least one person walk up to the doors, rattle the handle, peer inside, then look at the time on the door, make a frustrated or disappointed sound, and leave. 

Every day.

For ten weeks.

I no longer wondered why he felt the need to inform me of the hours that I had seen on the door.


Do customers ever read signs? Get your fix of more sign-ignoring-themed stories with our roundup: 12 True Stories That Prove Customers Never Ever Read Signs

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!