Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Filling Your Brain With An Empty Skull

| Learning | September 10, 2015

(I find myself walking into my biology class one morning to find the room deserted, save for the teacher.)

Me: “Where are the other guys?”

Teacher: “Deciding they weren’t as keen on this subject after all. I’m ashamed to admit this, but it’s going to be just you and me for a while.”

Me: “Huh… uh… so, how is this going to work?”

Teacher: “Well, clearly the lesson plan is out the window since there’s little point teaching it to one student so… anything you want to chat about?”

(I look around the room, and notice a shelf full of preserved embryos, dead animals, and human bones that are used for study.)

Me: “I suppose now is as good a time as any to ask this: where do you find all these specimens and bones from? No other classroom has this many dead things in it.”

Teacher: “Oh, medical websites, auction houses, some mementos from my previous job as a mortician…”

Me: *noticing he’s being serious* “…Really?”

Teacher: “Oh, yes, actually have quite a story on how I obtained this skull here.” *picks one up from the shelf* “It belonged to a death row prisoner and we were told his body was to be dissected and his parts embalmed for sale, once he’d been executed. I was actually quite proud of the way I managed to extract his entire skull, cleanly and efficiently, by cutting the scalp like this and…”

(The rest of the lesson is my teacher demonstrating the techniques he learned from cutting up bodies and how that inspired him into becoming a biology professor. From then on our lessons together all revolved a similar method of tying experiences from his previous profession to the course material we were studying. Best d*** class I ever had!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!