Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Feeling Used

, , , | Right | December 25, 2017

(I’m working at the mall to pay for my college, I’m at the end of a long shift and it being the week before Christmas, I’ve had multiple customers come in not sure of what they want.)

Customer: “Hello, I’m Christmas shopping for my grandson. He said he will only wear his jeans from here. But do you have any that aren’t used?”

Me: *since all of our jeans are brand new and we’re a higher-end store I’m confused by her question* “I’m sorry, used?”

Customer: “Yes, the tag says used right above the price on his size jean. Do you have any that aren’t used?”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry but all of our jeans are brand new. Despite some customers trying them on, none of them are used.”

Customer: “THE TAG SAYS USED! USED! COME WITH ME, STUPID GIRL!”

(She takes my arm and drags me to where some jeans are hanging up.)

Me: “Ma’am, can you please let go of my arm?”

Customer: “NO! Not until you see how stupid you are!” *by now we’re at the jeans* “See look! Used!”

Me: *reading the tag that says USD on it — all of our tags have this above the price* “Ma’am, that says USD, meaning U.S. dollars. Our company also has places in Canada; therefore, the tags are marked with U.S. dollars to avoid confusion.”

Customer: “I’m a well-educated woman. I can read, and these jeans say they are USED! GET ME YOUR MANAGER!”

(My manager, having viewed the whole transaction between me and the irate woman, comes over.)

Manager: “What seems to be the problem?”

Customer: “Your stupid employee won’t show me where the new jeans are! These are USED!”

Manager: “I’m sorry, [My Name] isn’t very smart.” *to me* “Go help someone else.”

(My manager then explains to the customer the EXACT same thing I had told her. She finally seems to get it, they have a pleasant interaction, and the woman purchases two pairs of jeans and some shirts. I have the unfortunate pleasure of ringing her up.)

Customer: “You should really be re-trained. Your manager explained how you don’t listen well and don’t understand anything about store policy. Now, be sure you ring me up right.”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “You should be.”

(The kicker about the whole thing: I got written up for poor work ethic, and my manager had me completely re-trained. I’d been working there for three years at that time. I quit shortly after that.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!