Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Incompetence Can Cause A Latte Problems

, | Working | October 9, 2013

(One of my coworkers knows nothing about coffee, and usually makes our specialty coffees wrong. Even though we have a book that has step by step instructions, she never uses it and never asks for help. Today, one of my regulars is going through her register.)

Customer: “Hello! I’d like a large iced caramel mocha with one extra shot of espresso please.”

(My coworker rings it in correctly and goes to make the drink herself. After a moment, she comes back and presents the cup to the customer.)

Customer: “Um, that’s not right. I would like the iced caramel mocha with extra espresso.”

Coworker: “Oh! I think I made a caramel latte by mistake. Let me try again.”

(My coworker leaves the cup on the counter and turns to try again.)

Coworker: “Okay! So one small caramel mocha with extra espresso.”

Customer: “That’s almost right. I would like it large and iced please.”

(This time I follow my coworker to the drink station to watch. I find her making the wrong drink yet again.)

Me: “Uh, where’s the chocolate?”

Coworker: “Iced coffees don’t get chocolate, just caramel flavor.”

Me: “Well yes, that’s correct, but the customer ordered a large iced caramel mocha with an additional shot of espresso. The book says you put our chocolate caramel sauce on the ice, right here.”

(I motion to both the book and the bottle of chocolate caramel sauce. My coworker stares at me for a moment before walking away so I can make the drink properly. As I am doing this, my manager wanders up and sees all the other drinks sitting on the counter.)

Manager: “What is this?”

Coworker: “I kept making this lady’s drink, but she kept telling me it was wrong!”

Manager: “Yeah… none of these are correct. You know, I’ve shown you the book and you know you can ask someone if you can’t remember how to make a drink, but randomly making a bunch of coffees hoping you eventually get it right is not acceptable. You are banned from making coffee until you memorize the coffee book.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!