Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Expecting The US Dollar To Get Top Billing, Part 2

, , , | Right | July 7, 2020

My boyfriend and I are in line for the luggage check-in at the airport. In front of us, there’s a woman raging on about the extra fee she has to pay for her luggage; she has at least four huge suitcases with her.

Check-In Clerk: “I’m sorry, but you really have to pay extra for that luggage.”

Woman: “But these suitcases need to check in! I won’t pay! Nobody said I should pay! Why would I pay extra?”

Check-In Clerk: “I understand, but before you can check these in, you have to pay an extra fee for each suitcase. It’s clearly stated in the terms and conditions of our airline.”

Woman: “Never saw a thing about that! And now you want me to pay… uh… how much again?”

Check-In Clerk: “It is €[price].”

Woman: “Okay, fine! I pay your stupid fee! How many dollars are we talking about here?”

Check-In Clerk: “Not dollars, euros.”

Woman: “Dollars!”

Check-In Clerk: “Euros.”

Woman: “Dollars!” 

This goes over and back for a while, until the woman finally gives up and steps out of the line, shouting:

Woman: “I only ever work with dollars! All my life! DOLLARS, YOU HEAR?!”

The clerk flinches as if she wants to hit her, but stays professional and forces herself to calm down. She signs that we can proceed to the counter and gives us a slightly absent “good morning” in English.

Me: *In Dutch* “Good morning! We want to check in our bags, please.”

Check-In Clerk: *Gives a sigh of relief* “Oh, thank God you’re Dutch! And with only one suitcase to check in… You’re making my day right now!” 

Check-in went without further hassle, but what do you know?! A week later at Glasgow airport we saw that same woman, waving her first-class ticket in front of everyone yelling, “I ENTER PLANE FIRST! I HAVE PRIORITY TICKET!” and pushing in front of the queue. Some people never learn.

Related:
Expecting The US Dollar To Get Top Billing

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!