Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Every Trick In The Book

, , , , | Right | August 3, 2011

(I’m working the register when an older lady approaches and asks for a price check on some fabric.)

Me: “That one is $9.99 per yard.”

Customer: “Minus the 30% off.”

Me: “No, ma’am. It’s regular price.”

Customer: “The sign said 30% off.”

(She takes me to the place where the fabric came from. The sign does indeed say 30% off, but has the name of the fabric that’s stored on the opposite side of the display. I flip the sign around the right way.)

Me: “Sorry, someone must have accidentally spun it around. See? It says this is regular price. The names are on the signs, so you can see which ones are on sale.”

Customer: “Okay, okay. Sorry.”

(She goes back to browsing and I go back to the register. After I ring up a few more customers, she’s back with another bolt to be checked.)

Me: “This one is $12.99 per yard.”

Customer: “But the sign says it’s only $3.95!”

Me: “Okay, let’s go look again.”

(Again, the sign over the fabric’s location says what she quoted to me. However, it’s been ripped in half so that the name of the fabric is now gone and it’s barely staying in its frame. I turn and look at the customer and she throws her hands up before I can even open my mouth.)

Customer: “I didn’t think you’d fall for it, but I had to try! Fabric’s so expensive these days!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!