Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Even The Famous Five Couldn’t Make Sense Of This

, , , | Right | January 1, 2019

(I work in a library. A community service student from a local high school is shelving in the junior fiction section, when I overhear this encounter.)

Customer: “Excuse me. That catalogue over there says that The Folk of the Faraway Tree is on loan; see, my daughter really wants that book.”

Student: “I can get one of the librarians for you; I’m sure you can reserve it or something.”

Customer: “No, I need it today. This is a library, isn’t it? What kind of library doesn’t have an Enid Blyton book?”

Me: “Hey. Anything I can help with?”

Customer: “I just don’t understand how a library doesn’t have that book.”

Me: “Well, we do have it; it’s just currently on loan. I can organise a reservation for you; you will be the next to get it.”

Customer: “It’s a very popular book. I don’t understand why it’s not on the shelf.”

Me: “Probably because it’s a very popular book.”

Customer: “No, it should be on the shelf.”

Me: “The best I can offer you today is a reservation.”

Customer: *big sigh* “I guess I have to buy it, then. I’m really disappointed, though, that such a popular book is on loan. A classic like that shouldn’t be; it should be available. It’s a classic, a popular classic. There’s no reason for someone else to have it out.” *leaves*

Student: “That made no sense at all.”

Me: “Don’t think about it for too long; it will give you a headache.”

Student: “I’m going to find a career path where I don’t have to deal with the general public.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!