Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Even Owners Have A Stupid Quota, Part 3

, , , , | Right | February 26, 2009

(One night while working a busy dinner shift, an elderly couple shows up in my section, at a table that just left. I assumed that the hostesses were just busy and sat them immediately.)

Me: “Welcome to [Restaurant]. What can I get you to drink?”

Them: “We’ve been sitting here for ten minutes? What took you so long?”

(I knew that I had cleared the table not more than five minutes ago.)

Me: I’m terribly sorry; we’re awful busy. Now, what can I get you tonight?”

(They order coffee and water, with extra cream. I get their coffee as fast as possible but have to make a second trip for the creamer. Before I can let them know I’ll be right back…)

Them: “That took forever! What’s wrong with you? It’s never taken this long before. Where’s our creamer?!”

(I calm them down enough to get away from the table and get the creamer. I am gone less than thirty seconds.)

Them: “This is the worst service I’ve ever had! I can’t believe they would hire you! This isn’t enough creamer!”

Me: “I’m terribly sorry, but I am trying my best to satisfy your dining needs. If you don’t feel that my service is adequate, please feel free to request another waiter.”

(I walk away to take care of my other tables. Shortly thereafter, the owner calls me over.)

Owner: “What did you say to those people?”

Me: *repeat the story to him*

Owner: “Okay, who sat them?”

Me: “I don’t know. They just showed up. I thought a hostess did.”

Owner: *to hostess* “Who sat that couple?”

Hostess: “They sat themselves.”

Owner: *to customers* “You sat yourselves while we have a 20 minute wait?”

Customers: “Well, there was an empty table!”

Owner: “Get the f*** out of my restaurant!”


Did you find this story using our Waitstaff roundup?

Click here to get to the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!