Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitlement Requires A Booking

, , , | Right | June 25, 2021

I work at a tourist attraction that my parents own. It requires booking, and this lady comes up to my entrance booth with a group of around fifteen people. We are almost fully booked; we have seven spaces. I know the woman because she lives close to the tourist attraction and I sometimes see her around the place. 

Me: “Hi, welcome to [Tourist Attraction]! Can I see your booking confirmation email, please?”

Customer: “What booking?”

Me: “Did you book online before coming?”

Customer: “Book? Why would I ever need to book?”

Me: “Because of the health crisis, we need to operate on reduced capacity, so we’re using a booking system to ensure our numbers remain below our 30% capacity.”

Customer: “I run a business and we aren’t doing any of that. Can’t you just let me in?”

Me: “I’m afraid we can’t let anyone in without a booking, and particularly not such a large group.”

Customer: “Don’t you know who I am?”

Me: “I know who you are, [Customer].”

Customer: “Then you will know that I know [Owner] very well. Can’t you get [Owner]? He’ll let me in.”

Me: “He’s actually not here right now, but I can get the manager.”

The customer nods, so I call my manager over. 

Manager: “Oh, hi, [Customer]. How can I help you?”

Customer: “This lady here was just telling me that I couldn’t come in without a booking?”

Manager: “Yes, that’s completely right.”

Customer: “But you know me!”

Manager: “I’m sorry, but I can’t make an exception for you. We’re in the middle of a health crisis.”

Customer: “Don’t you have any spaces?”

Manager: “We have seven spaces.”

Customer: “Aha!” *Turns to me* “See? I told you she’d let us in!”

Me: “We have seven spaces, but there are clearly more than seven of you.”

Customer: “But we have seven adults, and the children don’t count, right?”

Manager: “The children still count as people.”

Customer: “Ugh. So if seven of us come in now, the rest of us can come in this afternoon on the same tickets.”

Manager: “No. You’d need to pay again, but we’re fully booked this afternoon.”

Customer: “I’m not coming in, then.”

Neither my manager nor I react to this.

Customer: “And I’m going to report you to [Owner].”

Manager: “Go ahead. I’m his wife.”

Me: “I’m his daughter.”

She grunted in frustration and stormed off. My mum and I just looked at each other and shrugged.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!