Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitlement Is Part And Parcel Of The Regular Customer Experience

, , , , | Right | May 18, 2021

Our convenience store has a collection and drop-off point for a parcel service. We have a handheld device for scanning parcels in, and it’s always breaking down.

Customer: “I’m just here to send this parcel back.”

Me: “No problem! I’ll just get it scanned through for you.”

I grab the device and try to scan the parcel, but the device gets stuck in a reset loop so I physically cannot do anything with it.

Me: “I’m sorry, the machine is just having some problems and has reset itself. I’ll give it a few seconds.” *Waits about a minute* “Sorry, but the machine isn’t letting me do anything right now. It is still constantly resetting itself.”

Customer: “Well, that’s not really good enough, is it?”

Me: “I’ll just try forcing it to power off to see if that solves it.”

I try, and the same thing happens again.

Me: “I’m sorry, but my scanner is broken. You may have to come back and try again later.”

Customer: “That’s ridiculous! I’m a loyal customer and have been here many times!”

The machine is broken; it won’t decide to work just because she’s a regular!

Me: “I am very sorry. The machine has been having issues lately. We are getting a replacement, but in the meantime, all I can suggest is—”

Customer: “Get me a manager!”

The assistant manager comes over and tries everything I tried. Unfortunately, nothing happens. The machine is still stuck in its reset loop.

Manager: “I’m sorry, but it’s having technical problems. It might resolve itself, so perhaps if you return—”

Customer:*Grabbing the parcel* “Ridiculous. I’m a regular customer here. I’m going elsewhere.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!