Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitled Jerk Gets Dragged!

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: TynanAmore | December 11, 2020

I work in a hotel that is part of a larger chain.

With the current situation going on in the world, my hotel is very limited on what we can offer for breakfast. Our local health department will not allow us to do our famous hot breakfast until the number of new cases in my area decreases; this means that we can only offer grab-and-go items that can be eaten cold or heated in a microwave. We are also not allowed to open our dining room as there’s not enough space for social distancing. We’re supposed to discourage people from “hanging out.”

We have signs all over our dining area that state due to the current health crisis, we are not allowed to open the dining tables.

For breakfast, we offer a box of items that can be grabbed and taken to the guests’ rooms or eaten cold in the car. In the box is a bagel, two hardboiled eggs, a breakfast bar, cream cheese, and yogurt, as well as eating utensils.

This particular customer has already been a bit of a troublemaker. We are a three-star hotel and will go out of our way to help a guest, but this customer is never satisfied, no matter how far out of your way you go. When she first checked in, she cussed out my front desk staff because we don’t offer valet parking.

The customer and her husband each take a breakfast box, and upon pulling out the bagel, the customer comes to my desk.

Customer: “You need to get me a toaster for this bagel.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we do not have any toasters available.”

Customer: “Then how am I supposed to eat my bagel?”

Me: “Ma’am, there are microwaves available in the guest rooms, or if you are heading out, I will be more than happy to heat it in the little microwave in my office.”

[Customer] doesn’t like either of those options and huffs back to the breakfast area where her husband is waiting. I figure they are leaving and that’s why he is waiting. I walk over a little bit later to clean and check to make sure there are enough boxes for all the guests when I see [Customer] and her husband sitting in the dining area. One could assume that they didn’t see the signs; however, they sat at one of the tables that had the sign on it.

Me: *Calmly* “I do apologize, but per CDC and local health department regulations, we are not allowed to have anyone in the dining area.”

Customer: “There is no sign anywhere.”

I point to the large-print sign on the table.

Me: “Ma’am, we have them posted on the entrance door, as well as on the tables right here.”

Customer: “Well, I’m not moving until I finish eating.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but you will have to. If the health department sees you here, we can be shut down as a public health nuisance.”

Husband: “Let’s just take our things back to the room.”

Customer: “No, this little a**hole is lying. There are no rules that say we can’t eat here; he just doesn’t want anyone here.”

I step off and go to the back. I come back with a printout of the CDC and local health department regulations

Me: “Ma’am, these are the rules as outlined by the CDC and the health department. As you can see, it says right here—” *pointing to the page* “—that eating areas must be able to accommodate social distancing to open. As this is a small dining area that cannot accommodate social distancing, we are unable to open it.”

The customer goes ballistic, yelling and cussing.

I finally get tired of listening to it.

Me: “Ma’am, if you are going to continue to yell and use foul language, I’m afraid I will have to ask you to leave the property, without a refund.”

This is when the customer says the Magic Words.

Customer: “GET ME YOUR MANAGER!”

I get a little glee when I hear entitled and rude customers say this, as I am the assistant general manager here, and generally, at breakfast time I’m the only employee here.

I point to my name badge.

Me: “Ma’am, I am the manager, and I’m going to have to ask you the leave the hotel. Don’t worry about a receipt; it will be emailed to the email on your reservation.”

Husband: “I can’t believe we are getting kicked out of another place because of your attitude.”

The customer’s husband had to drag her out of the hotel.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!