Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ended With Some Change For The Better  

, , | Right | December 16, 2019

(This is my third day on the job. In the afternoons, I mainly serve up ice cream and slushies from the stand in front of the shop. I have a “change cup” with me so I don’t have to run inside to the register every time, but I am required to put any bills into the till immediately. Two women come up with three small children. The kids each order a large slushie, which cost €4 each.)

Me: “Okay, that will be €12, please.”

(One of the customers hands me a €20 bill. I take out €8 euros from the change cup and, slightly distracted, hand them to the other customer. I then go to put the bill in the till. The first customer follows me in and orders coffees for herself and her friend, and pays. A few minutes later they decide they want sundaes, too.)

Me: “That’ll be €5.”

Customer: “Oh, by the way, you never gave us our change earlier.”

Me: “What? I got the change out of that cup there and handed it to you.”

Customer: “No, you didn’t. Don’t lie to me. You took my €20 bill, put it in the register, and never handed me the change.”

Me: “Ma’am, I swear…”

Customer: “Look in my purse! Do you see any change in here?!”

(I’m getting a little anxious, as she is getting rather aggressive, and while I’m sure I gave her the change, I don’t want to make a scene. After discussing the situation with my coworker, who only witnessed the second half of the incident, I finally decide to give her her change, minus the price of the sundaes. I head back inside to ring up more customers. A few minutes later, the women come in. I brace myself for another onslaught…)

Customer: “So, my friend just checked her purse, and it turns out you gave her the change. So here you go. I am so sorry about earlier. I swear we’re not dishonest; it was just a misunderstanding!”

Me: “That’s quite all right.”

(She apologizes profusely for about another minute before heading out. After they leave, I turn to my coworkers.)

Me: “Okay, so I’m not losing my mind. Good to know.”

(I know from reading this site that it could have been a lot worse!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!