Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Empty Boxes And Equally Empty Threats

, , , | Right | August 24, 2009

Customer: “Hi, I’d like to return this, but I don’t have a receipt.”

Me: “All right, let me see what I can do.”

(I notice that she’s trying to return an empty display box, something no employee would have sold to her. It’s thus pretty clear that she shoplifted the box and is now trying to scam us.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, I can’t return this.”

Customer: “Why not?! Just because I don’t have my receipt?”

Me: “Well, this is an empty box. There is nothing in it.”

Customer: “What do you mean? I bought it like that! How was I supposed to know it was empty?”

Me: “There is no way you could have bought it like that. None of the employees here would have sold that to you.”

Customer: “Well, they did sell it to me! You have to give me the money back. This is ridiculous!”

Me: “Okay, ma’am, tell you what. Let me see your driver’s license. I’ll make a copy of it and run it through our machine and see if I can give you a refund then.”

Customer: “Uh… I left my license in my car. I’ll just… uh… go outside and get it.”

(The customer bolted from the store while leaving the stolen display box on the counter, jumped into her car, and sped off.)


This story is part of our Scammer roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to see the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!