Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Employee Of The Year, Part 2

, , , | Right | July 8, 2009

(I’m English and backpacking in New Zealand. I’ve just started work in a fast food place and am on the drive-thru for the first time.)

Manager: “Okay. What you have to do is talk to the customers and make them feel really welcome. Get a bit chatty if you can.”

Me: “Okay, no problem. Watch this…”

(A customer drives down to my window to pay for his food.)

Me: “Hey there, how you doing? That will be [price].”

Customer: “Where are you from?”

Me: “England.”

Customer: “Whereabouts in England?”

Me: “Hull.”

Customer: “ME, TOO! I’m from [Road]!”

Me: “Sweet! I grew up just round the corner from there! Was it a nightmare having them build the new stadium right on your doorstep?”

Customer: “No way! Yer, was a right pain! Speaking of which, did you see the Tigers play the other night?”

Me: “Nah, I missed it. I was working. I heard the result though, get it!”

Customer: “Let’s see if we come out on top at the end of the season! Anyway, I best go pick up my food. I am sure you have other customers to serve. My name is [Customer] by the way. What’s yours?”

Me: “I’m [My Name].”

(We shake hands through the window.)

Customer: “Nice to meet you, man. I will be sure to see you around.”

Me: “Yeah, have a good day, mate!”

(The customer drives to the next window. I turn to look at my manager who has a look of total disbelief.)

Me: “And that’s how you do that.”

Manager: “Yeah, I will leave you to it. I think you got the hang of it!”


This story is part of our Crazy-Coincidences roundup!

Read the next Crazy-Coincidences roundup story!

Read the Crazy-Coincidences roundup!


This story is part of the Drive-Thru roundup!

Read the next Drive Thru roundup story!

Read the Drive-Thru roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!