Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Email Fail, Part 33

, , , | Right | June 28, 2021

My former employer had a membership that originally only required your phone number and name. After an update, an email requirement was added. Without all of the information, the membership is considered invalid. This particular customer has come in at least once a week for as long as I can remember.

She approaches my register and I inwardly brace for the argument.

Me: “Hi, do you have—”

Woman: “Here.”

She thrusts her store card in my face. I scan the card and her information pops ups.

Me: “Okay, it looks like we don’t have all the required information here. What’s a good email for you?”

Woman: *Glaring at me* “None.”

Me: “In order to continue getting the membership discounts, I do need—”

Woman: “No.”

Me: “You won’t get the sale prices or coupons.”

Woman: “I’m not giving you my email.”

Me: “Are you sure?”

Woman: “I said no.”

Me: “Okay.”

I scan her items and tell her the total.

Woman: “Why aren’t [items] on sale?”

Me: “Your membership is only valid with all of the information filled in, including your email.”

Woman: “Well, no one told me.”

I’ve personally gone through it with her several times.

Woman: “Just make it up! Put in abc123 at email dot com or something!”

Me: “I could get fired for that.”

Woman: “That’s not my problem. What are you going to do about this?”

Me: “I wish I could change the system back to the way it was, but I can’t. I can give you the contact information for corporate. They’re really the only ones who can change anything.”

Woman: “This is ridiculous. I’ll just take my business elsewhere.” *Storms out*

I understand why people didn’t want to list their email and I hated going through the same argument several times a day, but there was nothing I could do about it. When I quit, they still required emails, and that woman still came in every week and argued with the cashier every time.

Related:
Email Fail, Part 32
Email Fail, Part 31
Email Fail, Part 30
Email Fail, Part 29
Email Fail, Part 28

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!