Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Email Fail, Part 3

| Learning | February 13, 2015

(When students start school with us, they are required to do an online orientation that explicitly states they are to check their student email account at least once a day. This is doubly important if you are a student in an online only program. Additionally, before classes begin, I send another email to their personal account on file letting them know we’ll no longer be mailing them at their personal account and we need them to check their student email from now on.)

Student: “I don’t understand! I’m new; last semester was my first semester here. I’ve emailed [My Name] and called her several times and she hasn’t responded. This is ridiculous! Classes start next week and I haven’t been signed up for ANYTHING!”

Coworker: “Well, I can go ahead and make you an appointment with her this afternoon…”

Student: “YES! GOD!”

(She makes the appointment and lets me know. I look at the student’s file and note that he has been sent no less than SIX emails regarding advisement and registration and has NOT emailed or called me. I call him at his appointed time.)

Me: “Okay, before we start, I just have one quick question for you. Have you been checking your student email account?”

Student: “No.”

Me: *speechless*

(After a pause.)

Student: “Should I be?”

Me: “Well, it’s how the university contacts you on official business and how I contact you about advisement and registration…”

Student: “Oh, so do you want me to check it now?”

Me: *sigh* “Well, considering we’re already speaking, I don’t think it matters…”

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!