Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Elmo Versus Chewbacca: The Fashion Throwdown

, , , , , | Working | December 13, 2021

A while ago, a friend of mine decided to buy me a pair of sweatpants because I had told her I had trouble finding pants that fit me comfortably. Because she loves the color red, to the point that it’s the only color she wears and most people call her Red, she naturally got me red sweatpants.

They were comfortable. I had few pants that fit me and I don’t care at all about fashion, so I wore them into the office a number of times without much issue. However, one day I wore them, I got cold, so I put on the sweatshirt I keep at the office, which by coincidence was a bright red University of Maryland shirt. The red-on-red combination was a bit of an eyesore, even to my non-existent fashion sense, so I got some good-natured mocking from my peers. I stood by my choice; I’d rather look stupid than be cold!

The next day happened to be May 4th, which, of course, has become almost a holy day to “Star Wars” geeks. I happened to pass a coworker who came into work dressed as Chewbacca as I came in.

Me: “Did you see [Coworker #1]? She’s dressed as Chewbacca.”

Coworker #2: “Yeah, it’s a pretty good costume.”

Me: “So, you think her dressing up as Chewbacca is cool, but I still get made fun of for wearing red sweatpants? That doesn’t seem fair.”

Coworker #2: “You know, you’re right. If she gets to dress up as Chewbacca, then it’s only fair that you should be allowed to dress up as Elmo. I apologize.”


This story is part of the Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup!

Read the next Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup story!

Read the Star Wars Day: May The Fourth roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!