Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Driving Up The Insurance

, , , | Right | November 30, 2022

I work for an insurance company.

Customer: “My daughter is away at college. She’s twenty but only has a learner’s permit. Is she covered if she drives a friend’s car?”

Me: “If the friend is in the car with her and over twenty-five, yes.

Customer: “What if she borrows the friend’s car?”

Me: “Technically no, because she doesn’t have a valid driver’s license.”

Customer: “No, but she has a learner’s permit.”

Me: “Right, but not a driver’s license.”

Customer: “What about when she turns twenty-one?”

Me: “A learner’s permit is still a learner’s permit, regardless of how old she is.”

Customer: “What about in South Carolina?”

Me: “Ma’am, a learner’s permit in any state is not the same as a driver’s license.”

Customer: “I think you’re wrong. I think in South Carolina, you automatically get a driver’s license when you turn twenty-one.”

Me: “I don’t know for sure since I don’t work in South Carolina, but I would imagine that she’d at least have to take a driver’s test or some sort of certification. Otherwise. there would be a lot of really unfit drivers driving around South Carolina.”

Customer: “What about if I buy her her own car?

Me: “Ma’am, a learner’s permit and a driver’s license are in no way, shape, or form the same thing, regardless of whether or not she has her own car.”

Customer: “Hmm… no. I’m pretty sure if you own a car, you automatically get a driver’s license.” *Click*

I was suddenly very happy to not be driving around South Carolina!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!