Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Driving 100 km In Another Man’s Shoes

| Right | October 30, 2014

(I work at the customer service desk in a big outdoor/camping store. One of my jobs is to handle returns. Today, a guy comes in. I greet him.)

Me: “Hi, how can I help you?”

Customer: “Yeah, hi. I bought shoes here a while ago and they’re damaged. I want new ones.”

Me: “All right. Did you bring the shoes with you? I would like to take a look.”

(The customer nods and bends down. I know what is about to happen and so does my coworker. I can tell she’s about to laugh and she walks away to make sure the customer doesn’t see her. He takes one shoe off his foot and put it on the desk. It’s smelly and feels warm.)

Customer: “There, you see? It’s damaged!”

(I ask to see his receipt and look up the procedure for this particular brand of shoes. As it turns out, I can’t give him new shoes, but instead, I have to send his shoes in for repair.)

Customer: “But how am I supposed to do that? I can’t go home without having shoes on! I need you to give me new shoes and I want a refund for the money I spent on gas! I drove over 100 km to get here!”

(At this point, I notice his t-shirt. It’s a shirt from a local amateur soccer championship in a town very near to where we are. 12 kilometers, tops.)

Me: “No, sir, I am afraid I can’t do that. I would love to send your shoes in for you. It’s no problem if you decide to come in another time. The procedures won’t change.”

(The customer then, angrily, took his shoe back, grunted and moaned, and hopped away on one leg.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!