Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Drive It Forward, Part 2

, , , | Hopeless | June 29, 2016

It doesn’t snow here that often so when it does, folks lose their minds. It may be important to this story to say I am a very tall, rather burly black man. It snows a few inches while I am at work. I generally carpool with a friend. Their offices let out early but mine does not. After work I walk over to a bookstore and make some calls, trying to get a ride home. No one wants to go out in the weather.

Finally, I just decide I’ll have to ask a stranger. I stand in the door of the bookstore and look over those who are leaving. I do not ask a few women who left; I think that it might be awkward for them. A tall, young blond man steps out and I ask him if he’d be willing to give me a ride about four miles. He actually recoils before hemming and hawing that he can’t. But, right after him, an older red-headed woman steps through the door. Before I can say anything to her she speaks.

Woman: “I’ll give you a ride.”

Me: “Really? I mean, thanks. It’s only about four miles away.”

Woman: “No worries. This is lousy weather to be walking, but it’s really not too bad for driving. That van is mine.”

She drove me right to my door. She said it was only half a mile from her own home. I hope that was true. We had a very nice conversation and I even asked her why, as a white woman she had no hesitation to give a ride to a black man. Her answer:

Woman: “I’ve needed a ride in the past. I’ve always gotten one, too. It’s my turn to give one.”


This story is part of our Pay It Forward roundup!

Read the next Pay It Forward story!

Read the Pay It Forward roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!