Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t TM A Telemarketer

| Working | April 18, 2014

(I am in school studying to be a store manager. Telemarketing is for some reason included in our schedule. One night I get a call from a telemarketer trying to sell me a ‘better deal’ for my phone subscription (I use cash cards).The TM desperately tries to follow her script and I can hear she’s using some of the tactics we’ve been taught at school. After a few minutes I grow tired.)

Me: “Look, just listen to me. I know what you’re trying to do and it’s not working. I’m studying sales and telemarketing right now and I know all the tactics you’re trying to employ here. You’ve completely misjudged me. You’re not supposed to go into the sales talk until you’ve confirmed the customer is interested. You’re wasting both your time and mine.”

(There’s a few quiet moments before the telemarketer speaks again.)

Telemarketer: “Please, I need this. It’s my first day and I haven’t signed a single customer yet.”

Me: “Well, I’m sorry to hear that but I’m not interested. Also, your boss is listening in on this, right? I know they do that with new employees. You’ve tried your best but it just didn’t work out this time. Better luck next time.”

Telemarketer: “Yes, well… thanks.”

Me: “You’re welcome.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!