Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Mess With The Mousse

, , , | Hopeless | April 23, 2016

(I am a student teacher with my mentor teacher at a popular local restaurant. My mentor teacher is kind enough to buy me lunch, so I decide to buy myself some dessert. I go to the counter and spot some chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup.)

Me: “Okay. I’m going to have to get that. I’m sold.”

(A customer in front of me overhears me and laughs.)

Customer: “That looks delicious, doesn’t it? You should get a big one!”

Me: “Aw, I wish, but I gotta be careful. Got a bit of a gut. I’ll take the small one.”

Customer: “Hey, go big or go home. Am I right?”

(I smile and get one of the workers to get me a small mousse cup. While I’m waiting to pay, I realize that I can only use my credit card if I am paying a minimum of ten dollars. I have no cash, so I decide to buy a few other things to make up the difference. The customer finishes up in front of me and leaves the restaurant, and I head to the counter with my mousse cup.)

Me: “Hi! So I just realized the credit card minimum, so I’ll also take—”

Cashier: *cuts me off* “You know what? The customer ahead of you didn’t want you to worry, so she bought the mousse for you.”

Me: “I… really? Oh, my gosh. That’s so sweet!”

Cashier: “It really is a blessing, isn’t it?”

Me: “I wish I could thank her! Thank you so much!”

(I happily enjoy my free chocolate mousse before leaving the restaurant. That customer’s generosity inspired me to pay it forward as well, so when I stopped by one of my favorite coffee shops, I paid for a stranger’s chai tea! Here’s hoping that I helped contribute to a string of kind acts and deeds where I live.)


This story is part of our Pay It Forward roundup!

Read the next Pay It Forward story!

Read the Pay It Forward roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!