Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Why Don’t You Just Ably Walk Away In The Other Direction?

, , , , | Right | March 23, 2018

(I work the graveyard shift at a truck stop. I also have a bad leg and walk with a cane. Despite my disability, I always manage to get my work done. This happens one night in the middle of my shift.)

Customer: *glaring at me* “You are way too young to be walking with that cane!”

(Having heard this a million times, I use my usual response.)

Me: “Yes, sir, I agree. My leg doesn’t, though.”

(I smile at him, hoping that answer is enough.)

Customer: *clearly angry now* “Now, listen here, young lady! Canes are for people who actually need them, not for youngsters who just want to get attention. Where is your manager? Does he know you use a cane when you don’t need one? This is outrageous.”

Me: *insulted and angry* “Sir, I do need this cane to be able to walk, and to be able to get my job done. My manager does know that I have it and that I use it. I do not use it just to ‘get attention.’ Canes are used, as you said, by people who need them. There is no minimum age requirement for needing a cane. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go clean a shower for one of our regulars.”

(I used my cane and walked away to do my work, but I heard the customer mumbling to himself about “faking youngsters” who “want all the attention.” I found out later that he spoke to my manager, who told him the same thing I did. I never got an apology, and I never saw the customer again.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!