Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Ever Bat For The Rude Ones

, , , , | Right | November 2, 2020

We have a promotional deal at our sports store that if you bring in an old bat, you get a discount on your new one. However, customers are taking advantage of it and corporate sends out a notice to only allow customers one trade-in.

I have a customer come in with her husband and her son. I am currently working as the door greeter. One of my duties is to intercept the old bats and give the customer a slip for their turn-in.

Me: “Hello! Welcome to [Sports Store]! Do you have a bat trade-in today?”

Customer: “Yes!”

She turns around and grabs a total of four from her husband.

Me: “Unfortunately, ma’am, we are only allowed to do one trade-in.”

Customer: “Are you kidding me?! Why?!”

Me: “That is the policy set in place. I’m sor—”

Customer: *Cuts me off* “Ridiculous! That is so stupid.” 

Me: “I understand, ma’am, but that is our policy. If you’d like, I can get the manager.”

Customer: “Do that.”

I radio the manager and she says that she will be coming up from the back office.

Customer: “What’s to say that don’t I turn in one here and then do the same at all of the other [Sports Store]s in town?”

Me: “Well, it’s on an honor basis, but—”

Customer: *Cuts me off again* “This is so stupid.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but my manager is coming up to speak with you about this.”

Customer: “Yeah, I know. When did y’all even start this?”

At this point, everyone within a ten-foot radius can hear her yelling. My manager still hasn’t come up yet. She interrupts me again as I am trying to explain.

Customer: “Yeah, yeah, whatever.” *Waves me off* 

Me: “Okay, you don’t need to be rude.”

Customer: “Excuse me?!”

I’ve turned my attention to other customers coming in because I’m annoyed with her disrespect toward me. I overhear the customer’s husband ask what happened and she tells him I called her rude.

Customer’s Husband: “Did you really tell my wife that she is rude?!”

Me: “Yes. I did.”

Customer’s Husband: “Wow, so much for customer service. You should work on that.”

Me: “Okay. Great. Thanks.”

My manager comes up and handles the situation, telling her everything I said. The customer yells and gets angry and interrupts my manager the same as she did me. She finally just leaves with her family in tow. My manager leaves to her office and tells me to just shake it off.

Another customer comes up to me and says:

Other Customer: “I’m so sorry you had to deal with that. They were awful. You don’t deserve that. I hope you have a great day.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!