Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Discount The Power Of A Discount

| Romantic | June 5, 2014

(I work as a barista at a small coffee shop, and we have a lot of regulars. One of my female coworkers has a crush on a particular regular, and has been using her 20% employee discount whenever he comes in. On this occasion, this coworker has swapped a shift, and so isn’t in when the regular turns up.)

Regular: *to male coworker* “Hey, I think you’ve charged me wrong for my coffee. It’s usually always [price of coffee minus discount].”

Male Coworker: “I’m sorry, sir. Are you sure you get your coffee here usually? This has been our price for as long as I’ve worked here.”

Regular: “I’m sure. I always come in and get my coffee here, from the cute girl with the short brown hair, and the green eyes… Where is she today anyway?”

Male Coworker: “She swapped a shift with me. She’ll be in tomorrow closing, so I can get the manager to check she knows all the prices. I can only apologise, really—”

(At this point I decide to butt in, knowing the other coworker has been discounting his drinks for at least a month and a half.)

Me: “Actually, sir, it looks like it’s been rung up with an employee discount.”

Regular: “She’s been…” *suddenly, a large grin is plastered across his face* “You said she’s in tomorrow?”

Me: “She’s in from midday to six, sir. And, sir, her name is [Name].”

(Later I heard that the regular came in during her next shift and took her out to dinner.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!