Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Discount The Customer’s Ability To Discount, Part 2

| Right | August 25, 2014

(We have discount five pm shows during the week, and one pm shows on weekends. People often show up at five pm on weekends wanting a discount, but most are suitably good-natured on finding out that they were using the wrong day’s newspaper to get their information. A customer comes in dropping off his teenage son.)

Customer: “One, please.”

Me: “That’ll be [full price amount].”

Customer: “No, I only want one.”

Me: “I know. It’s full price.”

Customer: “No, it isn’t. It’s discounted. The newspaper says so.”

Me: “Our weekend schedules are different. You’re using a paper from another day. I’m sorry. I know it’s inconvenient and a lot of people make that mistake, but it is full price.”

Customer: *getting belligerent* “No. It is discounted and I will not pay full price.”

Me: “I really am sorry, but as I said, a lot of people make this mistake. I can’t give you the discounted price.”

Customer: “I’m going to go get the newspaper from my car and show you and you’ll have to give me a refund.”

(The customer pays full price for his son, who scampers inside, as several dozen pairs of eyes wait to see what will happen. Many of them have paid full price and will no doubt want refunds, too, if I give this customer one. Then, about a minute later, he reappears with a paper.)

Customer: *arrogantly and rudely* “Why don’t you tell me what it says right here?”

Me: *reading from newspaper* “That says 5:00 at the discounted price.”

Customer: *beaming*

Me: “Now why don’t you tell me what it says right here?”

Customer: *reading from paper* “Showtimes listed are for today… only.”

(At that point he turned and walked off, without so much as a good bye to his son. I think the son at least enjoyed the movie.)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!