Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Discount The Benefits Of A Discount

, , , , | Right | March 31, 2022

I’m running a cake sale for a charity event; I’ve only been here an hour but am already disgusted by how many people are trying to scam free food out of a charity.

So many people want a discount because they don’t like the flavour or want to “try before they buy.” The cakes are like 50p each and go toward a very good cause.

Customer: “What discount do I get if I buy a load of cakes?”

Me: “Well, you can buy two for the price of two.”

Customer: “Oh, come on, give me some incentive here.”

Me: “Tell you what.” *Hushes my voice* “I will give you 10% off your order if you buy ten or more. But! You need to come back at the end.”

He practically skips away from his amazing negotiation skills.

Friend: “What did you do that for? Don’t encourage him!”

Me: “Oh, please, this guy is at every event. I tell him ‘no’ every time. It doesn’t change a thing. If he comes back at the end and wants to buy all the cakes that would just go into the bin, why not?!”

We get through the day and sales have been a bit disappointing; we just don’t get the people through the doors. Right on time, the man from earlier returns.

Me: “Still hungry? I saved some for you.”

Customer: “Excellent, thank you!”

He buys everything I have left, and I give him the discount and feel pretty happy about what I’ve raised.

Friend: “I can’t believe you!”

Me: “He wasn’t going to buy anything anyway, and look at how much I’ve raised.”

Friend: “I just don’t think you should have done that.”

We looked down at her table; she had half her stuff left but still was resolute in her stance. We ran another charity event a few months later. We both agreed to run a last-orders sale and we sold out of everything!


This story is part of the Readers’-Favorite-Stories Of-2022 roundup!

Read the next Readers’-Favorite-Stories Of-2022 roundup story!

Read the Readers’-Favorite-Stories Of-2022 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!