Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Bank On Your Coworkers

| Working | September 18, 2013

(My coworker has a good grasp on technology, and knows how to avoid spam. She has recently had her computer upgraded and does not yet have most programs to run the basics.)

Coworker: “Hey [name]? Can you open up ZIP files?”

Me: “Sure. Send it over.”

(I open the zip, and it’s an executable file from a known bank.)

Coworker: “Hmm. I still can’t open it. What kind of file is it?”

Me: “It’s an executable.”

Coworker: “I don’t know. I don’t even know this guy at [bank] who sent it.”

Me: “…do you bank with them?”

Coworker: “No.”

Me: “Delete it. Delete it now. Remove it from your trash bin. Start running scans.”

Coworker: “I shouldn’t have opened it, should I?”

Me: “No. But at least you didn’t run the executable file, unlike others in this building.”

(10 minutes later, another coworker approaches us.)

Other Coworker: “Hey guys. Did you get something from [bank]? I opened it, and now I can’t get onto my computer.”

Me: “Do you bank with them?”

Other Coworker: “No. But it seemed important! It was about my account!”

(I spent that entire afternoon running scans on every computer in the building to clean out the virus and keylogger.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!