Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Bank On Getting The Right Number

, , , | Working | July 31, 2021

I work for a large multi-bank network that does card processing and contact center servicing. I am in telecom and assist internal employees. 

Account Manager: “One of my bank clients is printing out new cards and they want to confirm what number they should print on the back so their members can reach them.”

Me: “Okay, what is the name of the bank?”

Account Manager: “[Bank].”

Me: “Members should call [number #1].”

Account Manager: “That’s not the number I gave them. I told them to put [number #2].”

Me: “That number doesn’t belong to us. Why did you give them that number?”

Account Manager: “That’s the number printed on the back of my debit card.”

Me: “Is your debit card with [Bank]?”

Account Manager: “No, it’s with [Credit Union].”

Me: “Why would you give them the number for [Credit Union] to put on the back of [Bank]’s cards?”

Account Manager: “They asked me what number to put on the back of the card.”

Me: “You need to contact them right now and make sure they put [number #1].”

Several months later…

Boss: “[Account Manager] states that [Bank] is getting hundreds of complaints as members are dialing [Credit Union] when they are trying to reach them. She states she gave the bank the number you provided.”

Me: “Do me a favor and ask her for the number on the back of her [Credit Union] debit card and see if it matches the number the members are dialing.”

Boss: “Really?”

Me: “Yup.”

I then forwarded him the ticket documentation.

[Account Manager] was let go as this was not the first time she had done something like this. I am still waiting to find out the final cost of reissuing the cards again and the contract discount we had to offer the bank.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!