Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t Always Have To Accept A Mother’s Direction

| Related | June 24, 2016

(I love my mum, but sometimes she drives me insane because she either won’t listen when you tell her something or she’ll think she knows better. One day my folks are driving me back to my university town. I have lived here nearly three years and know my way around. My mum hasn’t really seen the town much, apart from when they occasionally pick me up. On the street I can see the road where we need to turn to take us down to my house.)

Me: “Okay, you see that shop with the green sign ahead? We need to turn right there.”

Mum: “Fine.”

(When we approach the turn I see she is going right by it, immediately I try to get her attention.)

Me: “It’s there… it’s there… IT’S THERE!”

(Mum drives right by the turn and keeps on going. My dad looks annoyed.)

Dad: “You just missed the turn; he told you go right!”

Mum: “WHAT?”

Me: “Mum, I said go right at the shop with the big screen sign!”

Mum: “I thought you meant another green sign!”

Me: “That is literally the only green sign on the street; which other one would I mean?”

Mum: “Never mind, we’ll go down here.”

(She turns onto a road that I know does connect onto my street with a turn or two. We get to the end of the road.)

Me: “Right now you need to turn right.”

(My mum turns left down the street. Dad and I are very annoyed at this!)

Me: “WHAT THE H***! I SAID GO RIGHT!”

Dad: “Oh, would you bloody listen, [Mum]!”

Mum: “We can go down here.”

Me: “No, we can’t. That’s a dead end!”

(My mum again doesn’t listen and just keeps on driving, oblivious. True to form she hits the end.)

Mum: “Oh, it’s a dead end!”

Me: “That’s what I just SAID!”

Mum: “I was sure we go down here.”

Me: “Which part of my instructions didn’t you get? You don’t live here. I do!”

(My mum is clearly not taking the blame and is attempt to save face.)

Mum: “It’s not a question of who is right or wrong.”

(My dad laughs callously at this. Even he refuses to play along.)

Dad: “Well, it is. It’s your fault for not listening to him! Twice he told you go right but you paid no attention. Now, why don’t you LISTEN to him and let him get us there before you get us even more lost!”

(Thankfully my mum turned the car around and we got there soon after. She still has her moments even now.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!