Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Have The Gift(card) Of Foresight

| Right | July 4, 2014

(I have previously worked for a large bookstore chain that went out of business. I now work at their competitor.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Current Bookstore] in South Miami. How may I help you?”

Caller: “Yeah, do you guys accept [Previous Bookstore]’s gift cards?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t. They were a different company, so they’re not valid here.”

Caller: “But when I go to their website it redirects me to yours!”

Me: “Yes. When the company closed, [Current Bookstore] bought their domain, and I believe their mailing lists, but they were never actually affiliated with them.”

Caller: “So you don’t accept their gift cards?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but no. They were a different company. ”

Caller: “So what am I supposed to do with this gift card?”

Me: “I’m afraid there’s nothing you can do. The company went out of business. It’s closed. The cards are worthless now.”

Caller: “But someone paid good money for these cards!”

Me: “I understand that. But I worked for [Previous Bookstore] when they went under. When they announced their bankruptcy, they also made it very clear that as they liquidated they would only accept gift cards through a certain date. There were signs all over the stores. You had two months to come and use the card. After that, even the stores stopped accepting them. [Previous Bookstore] didn’t exist. They were owned by a liquidation company at that point.”

Caller: “But someone paid for this. And you’re telling me that money is gone?! That’s unacceptable! I want my money!!”

Me: “Ma’am, with all due respect, the store closed three years ago. How important could the value of that card be to you if you’ve waited three years?”

(Click.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!