Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Get How Coupons Are Supposed To Work

, , , , , | Right | October 25, 2018

(I’m a supervisor at a children’s clothing store. We have a store credit card, and people who are cardholders get a coupon with their monthly statement. It’s paper, and we have no way of looking up coupons on the computer.)

Customer: *brings three bags of clearance to the register* “Price check all of this.”

Me: *politely* “Sure! No problem.”

(I scan everything; nothing is more than $6.)

Customer: “Okay, ring all of it up. I have a card here, but I don’t have it with me.”

Me: “That’s no problem, we can do a card look-up with a few questions. Your total is [less than $70] and you get 5% off for using your card today.”

Customer: “I have a 20% off coupon at home; look that up, too.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but our system doesn’t let us look up coupons. Was it an email? If so, I can scan it off your phone.”

Customer: *huffs* “No! It came with my bill. Give me the coupon.”

Me: “I’m sorry, I can’t. We don’t have—”

Customer: *explodes* “Well! I don’t buy anything without a coupon. How dare you be so unreasonable?!”

(She then stormed out, leaving me to rehang and put away every single item. It took twenty minutes. I found out she came back the next day and complained that I didn’t hold the items, and demanded an extra discount for the inconvenience.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!