Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Have Designs On Career Progression

, , , , , , | Working | January 15, 2018

(The head of my department is blind in one eye and deaf in one ear, both on the same side, as a result of a serious car accident some years ago. Because of this, it’s easy to startle him if you approach him too quietly on that side, especially when he’s focused on his work. Most people learn this quickly, and we always say his name clearly when we approach him. We have just hired a new designer.)

Head Designer: “Just so you know, I can’t see or hear on this side of my body very well, so please make sure that I know you’re coming up to me. I really don’t like to be surprised.”

New Designer: “Okay.”

(Later, I happen to be in the break room with [Head Designer] while he is heating up his lunch. I am browsing the web on my phone, and out of the corner of my eye I see the new designer come in. I don’t think anything of it until I hear:)

New Designer: *on the head designer’s bad side* “BOO!”

(The head designer drops his water bottle in surprise, spilling water all over the floor.)

Me: *to the new designer* “Dude! Not cool!”

New Designer: “Sorry, I just wanted to see if it was true.”

(He then walks out, leaving the head designer and me to clean up the spill.)

Me: “Sorry, I had no idea he was going to do that. Otherwise, I would have said something.”

Head Designer: “Don’t worry about it. It won’t happen again.”

(And it didn’t. I never saw [New Designer] again after that.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!