Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Does This Mean Gay People Make Better Lawyers?

, , , , | Related | April 10, 2020

Back in high school, I had a friend who was only very recently out as gay and was still very nervous about older people, due to bad experiences. I invited him, some mutual friends, and my family to a murder-mystery party for my birthday. My friend was nervous about my father, a gruff retired, Boomer-gen ex-policeman from Ireland.

As we were breaking the ice and all talking about our characters in the game, set during Prohibition-era, my friend mentioned that he — his character — was a lawyer.

My father, only half part of the conversation, had wandered over and loudly jumped into the discussion, “So, you’re bent?”

Cue awkward looks from everyone as [Friend] tried to crawl inside his own skin with embarrassment until my dad corrected himself.

“I mean, you’re crooked. As a lawyer?”

The conversation moved on with some feigned casualness as my dad winked at me. To this day, I don’t know if it was a quick recovery as he figured out the situation, lightning-fast, or if my dark-humor-loving dad had already known about [Friend]’s recent outing and decided to be a troll.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!