Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Do The Thing With The Thing

, , , | Right | December 22, 2021

A client is going over a design with me.

Client: “Oh it’s really really close, but there’s just one thing missing.”

Me: “Alright, tell me.”

Client: “Remember that one thing I said six months ago? Make it look like that.”

Me: “Do you remember?”

Client: “Actually, no, but make it look like that. You need to remember everything I’ve ever said, ever. Make it do that thing. Make it do that.”

Me: “About 80% of the time you change your mind and actually admit it and tell me so I don’t bill you. That’s why we have these meetings. You actually have said that before too.”

Client: “This one thing was an exception. Total exception. Super important.”

Me: “The thing you said six months ago?”

Client: “Yes.”

Me: “The thing that you yourself can’t remember.”

Client: “Yes. But I remember the long and short of what I said. Do it like that. Super super important.”

Me: “Sure, I’ll get right on that.”

Client: “You had better, I’m not paying unless that thing I said six months ago is done exactly how I said it.”

I carefully don’t bring this up for a few days and do nothing. They pay the invoice, and the project is complete.

Client: “Good, thanks, and it looks like you did that thing I said six months ago! Like I tell everyone here you are good overall, but sometimes we have to be firm with you and you’ll do what we ask. Thanks again.”

Yeah sure, you tell them that.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!