Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Discrimi(nation), Part 2

| Right | June 20, 2013

(The store I work for is run by a Vietnamese family. I am the only Caucasian working there, and the only other non-Vietnamese employee is often mistaken for being Vietnamese because of the color of his skin. We usually work together. A drunk customer comes in. Since law prohibits us from selling to people who are intoxicated, my coworker heads him off.)

Coworker: “Sorry, sir, you’ve had enough for tonight. We can’t serve you any more.”

Customer: “F*** you, c****! Get out of my way!”

Coworker: “Listen, man, there’s no need to get angry here; just go home go to bed. You can start again tomorrow.”

(The customer stumbles up to me at the till.)

Customer: “F****** c****, tryin’ ta tell me he won’t serve me.”

Me: “Sir, we won’t be serving you anymore tonight, or ever again. That word you keep using derogatorily refers to a Chinese person. The owners of this store are from Vietnam.”

Customer: “Whatever, they should all go back where they come from, starting with that fat f***!”

(I am trying not to laugh.)

Customer: “What’s so funny?”

Me: “The person you just said should go back where he comes from is pure Cree First Nations. His people have been here long before ours. Now I believe I told you we won’t be serving you anymore; get out now.”

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!